CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Thursday, July 17, 2008

The Confusion of being Confused with.

It's the weekend, we're all at peace now and we want to take a break from the monotony of what we call the 5-day rush hour drive.
If I admit it, you can admit it too - how many hours do we spend all week thinking and planning about these two whole days that we mostly spend sleeping?

Weekends are something a fresh Honors grad suddenly-working - coincidentally 'me' - can look forward to because for us it's the only time we get to re-live and think ruefully of the past when all we had to do was study write exams block woodshed study (and since this "then" was a boring time back then) and was something every college fresher essentially didn't want to do even if that was the only purpose served for going to college.

I'm always confuso about what to do for the weekend.
Should I laze around at home staring gratefully at the ceiling / sleeping / watching some funny-horror-romantic new flick?
Should I get into the kitchen and cook while nobody's looking?
Where the hell's my gang?!!! We'd made plans for the weekend....
Oh right, Shirin's tired, can't drive. Anitha's in Toronto...just how could I miss that?
The rest of my gang's back in Mumbai....freak.
The gorgeous man of my dreams is busy at work and his parents can't be visited if he isn't home too.
What exactly in heaven's name was I looking forward to this weekend anyways?!!!
Confound it, confound it!!!! I can't recall why I was soooo happy on my way home in the first place?!
GRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!?#@!



I love cooking. I just chop, peel, cut, dice, grind and mash until my heart feels sated, complete and full of a satisfaction I can't get from doing anything else.
I should've been a chef. But I didn't want to turn bankrupt at this age after just starting out with my own restaurant cooking my own kinda food and having to deal with other people's hospital bills for diarrhoea, allergies, blah blah blah.
And by the time I get all the pantry stock out onto the kitchen counter, I'm confused about why I took it all out in the first place.
Wasn't it a basic raita I wanted to stir together? Then what brought out the array of sabzi veggies? Why's the penne out of its packet?! I wasn't going to cook pasta!!!
ARGGGHH!!!!!!?#@!


I was going to call somebody...whom? Work-related call? Leisure call?
Best friend-gossip call? Long distance call? K9 Friends? Feline Friends???
Was it the pup or the kitten or my best friend or __________?
Was I planning on making some blank calls, perhaps? To whom? Since which age?
Was I supposed to be the caller or the recipient?
If I'm the recipient, was this staged or am I losing my mind?

My cell phone's ringing. I pick it gratefully.
Scrutinize the new number.
Silence. Clear my throat. "Hello?"
Soft giggles.
"Remember me?"
"Nope. Who's this?"
"The love of your life."
Thinking hard.
"No-ooo. This isn't his number. Plus, he hasn't rung up on my number since the past two weeks."
"Oh really? Is his name Piyush?"
"Is your name Piyush, Piyush?"
Chuckling, "Nice guess, Tanya."
"Who's Tanya?"
Whispering, "Gayatri's off for the weekend. Maybe we should..."
Ruining the suspense, "Who's Gayatri?"
Laughter. "Dawwwling - "
"You cheating on your wife or girlfriend or pet?"
"Huh? You -"
"I'm not Tanya."
"Yeah, right." Teasing giggles.
Don't I just love it when grown men giggle.
"Hey, hey, hey. Listen up. I'm confused about what to do this weekend - "
"Yes Piyush, so am I."
" - so let's meet up and - "
"Unfortunately, I'm not your Tanya."
"- have fun?"
"Exactly, you too. Have fun with Tanya. This is Champa Chameli speaking."
"What the - Tanya, what's the matter - ?" in a bewildered tone.
"Bye Piyush."

He didn't call back after that. Must've gotten flabbergasted. Decided to check the digits. Seen the atrocity he committed.
I'm still wondering if I should find out who Gayatri is. At least I'd have something not-so-ordinary to do this weekend.
At least I know there are people who have nothing to do during the weekend.
Or if they do, they don't have any way of actually doing it.

See, that's just it. I don't want to have a "normal-weekend" weekend.
I want to do something completely mind-boggling, exciting, intriguing, out-of-the-box - but there's either no opportunity for doing it or I can't choose between the options provided.

Saturday night 10 p.m. all over again.
Darn....I wish I just had a normal weekend.
I can't wait, I have a list of things to do, people to meet, places to go....

0 comments: